Jim Boeheim, the head coach of Syracuse, has formally retired after 47 seasons, the university announced on Wednesday afternoon.
Adrian Autry was appointed as the new head coach at Syracuse.
Syracuse chancellor Kent Syverud said in the announcement, "There is no question in my opinion that without Jim Boeheim, Syracuse Basketball would not be the great program it is today. Jim has devoted the majority of his life to developing this program, raising generations of student-athletes, and proudly and honorably representing his alma university. I want to express my love and admiration to a former student who personifies what it means to be "Forever Orange."
"Few things have had a greater impact on my life than Jim Boeheim and Syracuse University. Without either of them, I am convinced that I would not have the wonderful opportunity I have before me. They have both played such crucial roles "stated Autry. "Jim has taught me a lot about the game of basketball throughout the course of my career, and I'm really grateful to him for preparing me to carry on Orange Basketball's winning history."
The decision was made a few hours after Boeheim held an odd post-game press conference following Wednesday's 77-74 loss to Wake Forest in the second round of the ACC tournament. Boeheim talked about his potential retirement at that time.
Boeheim, 78, told reporters, "I gave my retirement speech last week, and nobody took it up.
The decision to retire, he continued, "is up to the institution," but when asked if he would be interested in coaching another season, he remained reticent.
You're speaking to the incorrect person, Boeheim said.
Boeheim's own retirement was not mentioned in the press statement.
Syracuse has a record of 17-15 and missed the NCAA Tournament the previous two years.
The last time the Orange has 20 victories in a season was in 2018–19.
During his time at Syracuse, he participated in 35 NCAA Tournaments and won a national championship (2003). Only twice before have Boeheim's teams failed to qualify for the NCAA Tournament in back-to-back seasons.

Comments
Post a Comment