I basically go through the same few stages with MLB The Show every year. I'm a bit hesitant at first, but I soon get enamored, and before I know it, I've been working on the Road to the Show for ten years. That's really what occurred last year when I didn't really like the game up until the epidemic struck and I ended up investing over a hundred hours in it.
Thus, bear that in mind while I state the following:
MLB By every objective metric, The Show 21 is an extremely well-made game.I grew to loathe it more and more as I saw more of it.Those are the first two things I'll address.
First off, by any stretch of the imagination, this is not a horrible game. This isn't the worst baseball game I've ever played. MLB The Show 21 does a really good job of capturing the on-the-field side of baseball, just as it did every year before it. This is once again the only option if you want to play baseball on a console, despite the fact that I have several concerns with the game (which I'll discuss in a bit).
Also, after years of just having RBI Baseball or nothing as your alternatives for baseball video games, MLB The Show 21 on XBox will seem like a surprise. Comparing the two series almost feels unfair since, particularly this year, the disparity is so great that it hardly appears like they are depicting the same game.
And yet, despite my best efforts to keep those things in mind, I can't say I really enjoyed MLB The Show 21.
I believe that the awful alterations to Road to the Show are mostly to blame for my problems with the game. I was aware that Sony had previously said that saved games from prior iterations of RTTS wouldn't transfer over, but it didn't make it any less painful to accept that the 12-year career I'd built in MLB The Show 20 was gone. It's true that the mode has changed, which would have made the changeover challenging, but it doesn't make it any less aggravating.
The fact that those RTTS adjustments don't seem to contribute anything doesn't help. One reason is that creating a player outside of RTTS, saving it somewhere, and then importing it into RTTS is a startlingly counter-intuitive way to begin a career as a customized generated player. Also, as soon as the game begins, harsh, boisterous sportscasters begin to yell about your career (at least in the next-gen versions). I get that Sony was trying to find a method to compete with the more intriguing career options in every other big sports game, but this approach simply seems wrong.
Making your player progress and improve is also far more labor-intensive than in previous years. While using the game's default sliders, you can only get experience points (though, granted, this helps avoid the mockery of the game I created with my last several RTTS careers, when I was setting records left and right). For your custom players, MLB The Show 21 also offers "loadouts," since if there's one thing a baseball game needs, it's a feature that's been lifted from others like Call of Duty.
It's very obvious that Diamond Dynasty received the most of the developers' focus in this area. After all, it's there that you can assemble your teams, experience iconic events, and, perhaps most crucially from Sony's standpoint, purchase packs of baseball cards to help you hone your players and teams. I can't tell if there is anything this year that would interest me as I have never been interested in that feature in the past.
The Franchise mode this year, which continues to seem lackluster, may be compared to that. There's nothing particularly exceptional about it and the most of it is leftover from last year. The game's inability to incorporate an expansion mode is perhaps the most aggravating aspect of Franchise mode. You can now build stadiums, even ones with dinosaurs in place of spectators in the stands! Considering that Diamond Dynasty essentially allows you to accomplish that, it seems like a strange omission on the part of Franchises.
In addition, March through October are still in effect. While it hasn't altered much, you may now somewhat alter the rosters, which, in my opinion, makes it considerably superior than Franchise mode.
In addition, despite my enthusiasm for how the game depicts activity on the field, I will note that the pundits are much the same as they have been for the last several years. While Heidi Watney, Mark DeRosa, Dan Plesac, and Matt Vasgersian are all excellent announcers/reporters, I must admit that I'm getting rather tired of hearing them repeat the same lines that we heard from them last year, the year before that, and the year before that. In fact, it seems like Vasgersian has been MLB The Show's commentator for ages without changing, thus it would be great if the game included some variety.
Like I said before, I won't dispute that MLB The Show 21 is a good, well-made baseball game despite all of my criticisms. It's definitely a must-play if you haven't played the series in a while or if you're starting with it on Xbox. Nevertheless, if you've already invested years on it, there isn't much left to make it worthwhile to play.

Comments
Post a Comment